Merrimack Paddle Challenge
The 2022 Merrimack Paddle Challenge is ON!
Hop in the water with your family or friends for a do-it-yourself paddling adventure. Paddle a collection of five destinations in the Merrimack River watershed, specially chosen to maximize fun and learn more about the ecosystem of this watershed that spans from New Hampshire to Massachusetts. We'll provide laminated paddle guides for each excursion, complete with maps, locations of put ins and take outs, important details about the paddle (length, difficulty, time) and information about what you'll see along the way! This is a great way to get more familiar with one of the region's largest and most important watersheds, and learn why land protection along the Merrimack and its tributaries is still so vitally important.
The challenge runs from June 15 to September 30, 2022 along the Merrimack River and its tributaries and is $25 per party.
- Concord River Paddle: Lowell & Billerica, MA
- Cross Border Merrimack Paddle: Nashua, NH to Tyngsborough, MA
- Contoocook River Paddle*: Contoocook & Concord, NH
- Muchyedo Banks Paddle: Penacook, Boscawen & Canterbury, NH
- Silver Maple Floodplain Paddle: Concord, NH
All paddle excursions are designed to be beginner to intermediate flat-water paddles, of between 4 and 9 miles in length and 2-5 hours on the water. Registered participants receive five laminated paddle guides with put-ins/take-outs, directions, interpretive details, and safety tips. Plus, you'll be be entered to win raffle prizes for participating!
*The Contoocook River Paddle is a one-way paddle using shuttle service available from Contoocook River Canoe Company for a special discounted fee of $12/boat. Alternatively, there is an out-and-back option for paddlers not wanting to use the shuttle service. Reservations are required for the shuttle service and starting in September, the service is weekends only.
Presented by: Five Rivers Conservation Trust, Lowell Parks & Conservation Trust, Merrimack River Watershed Council & Society for the Protection of New Hampshire Forests
2021 Merrimack Paddle Challenge participants on the Contoocook River. (Photo: Nancy Goodell)
READY, GET SET...
- Register for the Merrimack Paddle Challenge below for $25 per party.
- Look for your laminated paddle guides in the mail!
- Learn more: Watch The Merrimack: River at Risk online at your lesiure; the film highlights efforts to protect the forests and waterways of the Merrimack River watershed. Find out more about the history of the region from the Indigenous NH Collaborative Collective's StoryMap, which includes five points of interest you can visit in the watershed.
- Pack your paddling gear and boat, and head out on your own schedule. Be sure to recreate responsibly and read these safety tips.
- Share your adventures. Tag your photos on social media with #MerrimackPaddleChallenge as you explore. We'll choose fun prizes from the Merrimack Paddle Challenge partner organizations for the best photos, so please share your adventures with us!
For questions, comments, or suggestions about the Merrimack Paddle Challenge, or to email photos directly, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.