How to Become a Land Steward
*** The 2019 Land Steward Training Class is FULL and we are no longer accepting applications ***
*** Please contact the Land Steward Program Coordinator for info about the 2020 training ***
New Land Stewards must complete the one-time Land Steward Training, which will is held each year in the spring.
The next Land Steward Training is scheduled for for Friday April 12 to Saturday April 13, 2019.
This is a two-day, in-residence training where new stewards stay, eat, and learn together- AND have a lot of fun while they're at it! Topics covered in the training include Forest Society organizational overview; forest management and timber harvesting; trail maintenance, survey reading and compass navigation, community engagement, and recreation management. Learn more about Land Steward Program responsibilities and qualifications.
We are looking for volunteers in these areas:
(This list will be updated sporadically throughout the year)
- Deering - Dudley Pond Forest
- Deering- John & Anna King Forest
- Boscawen/Webster - Prince Pasture
- Andover/Franklin - Lawrence W. and Caroline B. Robie Forest
- Stoddard - Thurston V. Williams Family Forest
- Surry - French-Harris Memorial Forest
- Chesterfield - Madame Sherri Forest
- Enfield - Tucker Forest
There may also be opportunities on other forest reservations. Contact the Land Steward Program Coordinator for more info.