It's time for nature's annual spring party... BIG NIGHT is TONIGHT!
Stay off the roads. Listen from front porch. Wood frogs and peepers will be calling and the spotted salamanders will be pouring from the woods into the wetlands to breed in vernal pools. Exciting!
(You would be too if you only bred once a year.)
Watch this video Dave Anderson made during the 2020 Big Night for a peek into a vernal pool during breeding season:
Here are more resources from Big Nights of the past.
- Something Wild radio show/podcast: Is this Salamander a Plant or Animal? Yes
- Something Wild: Frogs are A-Courtin'
- Something Wild: If it sounds like a duck, it might be a frog
- Forest Journal: Faith in the Future, by Dave Anderson
- Forestry Friday: Vernal Pools and Forestry, by Gabe Roxby
- Pee-eep! Pee-eep! Pee-eep! (Translation: Spring!), by Dave Anderson