Position Announcement: Development Intern
The non-profit Society for the Protection of New Hampshire Forests seeks an enthusiastic and motivated individual for the position of Development Intern. The successful candidate will have excellent oral and written communications skills including experience interacting with a wide range of stakeholders (colleagues, businesses, the public etc.).
This is a part-time seasonal, unpaid position based in Concord, NH. The Development Intern is primarily responsible for supporting the Development Department in its outreach, engagement, and solicitation of New Hampshire and Massachusetts businesses whose interests align with the Forest Society’s.
The Society for the Protection of New Hampshire Forests is a statewide land conservation organization that was founded in 1901 to protect New Hampshire’s most important landscapes and promote wise use of its renewable natural resources. Today, with 9,400 member households and over 40 employees, the Forest Society owns 172 reservations in 102 communities across the state, and has interests and monitoring responsibilities for 818 conservation easements. With ongoing programs in advocacy, land protection and sustainable forest management, the Forest Society consistently ranks among the nation’s top land trusts and has been a leader in setting the standard for American land protection. If you enjoy working both independently and in a cooperative team-approach in a challenging, at times fast-paced, but always rewarding, setting you may be the right person for this position.
If you’re interested in becoming a member of the dedicated Forest Society staff email a resume and cover letter by April 15th, 2019 to Diane Forbes, Senior Director for Development firstname.lastname@example.org (or mail a hard copy resume and cover letter to The Society for the Protection of NH Forests c/o: Diane Forbes) • 54 Portsmouth Street • Concord, NH 03301-5400.
The Forest Society is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
No phone calls please.
Full Job Description
Reports to: Senior Director for Development
Nonexempt / Part-time / Seasonal
Hourly rate: Unpaid
This seasonal internship supports the Development Department in its outreach, engagement and solicitation of New Hampshire and Massachusetts businesses that align with the Forest Society’s mission and special projects. It works to implement social media plans to engage businesses in support of Forest Society operating budget funding priorities and special project underwriting opportunities. Intern will have the opportunity to contribute to outreach media (website, social media), interact with project managers’ organization-wide, assist with outreach events as appropriate and participate in staff meetings and events. This position is open to current post-secondary students or adult/non-students of all ages with required qualifications and skills who are looking to change careers are encouraged to apply.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with Development staff to implement marketing and social media plans directed at new businesses or other constituents as assigned
- Work with the Digital Outreach Manager to launch social media campaigns from marketing plans across multiple platforms.
- Contribute to website and social media content with images, videos, and stories
- Datamining New Hampshire and Massachusetts businesses in multiple focus areas as assigned
- Assist Development staff in developing, creating and writing web and social media marketing content across multiple platforms.
- Help develop and implement business member survey to capture and characterize business’s marketing and membership needs and goals.
- Assist with Forest Society events as interest and availability allow.
- Other duties or projects as assigned.
This position implements and evaluates new business outreach across multiple platforms. This work contributes greatly to the continuing effort to increase financial support from businesses to meet Forest Society operating and project underwriting needs and goals. The internship also provides the intern with opportunities to learn about and contribute to the work of a non-profit land conservation organization in its fundraising efforts.
Qualifications and Skills Required:
- Background in marketing, communications, or other related field
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Excellent research skills and ability identifying potential for business/corporate partnerships.
- Proficiency matching program needs to business/corporate culture values
- Attention to detail and highest standards of excellence and confidentiality
- Self-motivated individual, willingly accepts a challenge with an outgoing and friendly personality
- Exhibits good judgment, ability to work independently and handle multiple priorities efficiently
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite of applications and multiple social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter). Knowledge of Drupal preferred
- Valid Driver’s License, proof of insurance, access to reliable transportation and a working cell phone
Opportunities for Educational Growth:
- Work with outreach and development professionals to implement marketing plans
- Opportunity to execute and evaluate the results of the marketing plan
- Develop collaborative working and problem solving skills interacting with other staff
- Opportunities to see how one of the nation’s leading land trusts operates, through participation in staff meetings and events, and job shadowing.
- Candidate will spend most days working at the Forest Society’s Conservation Center, Concord NH
- ~20 hours per week May – September
- Environmentally sustainable, smoke-free office building within walking distance of wooded trails.
- Ability to function in an open-floor plan office environment
- Ability to work independently on assignments that require long stretches of sitting and typing
- Physically able to sit at a computer for extended periods
Direct Reports: None