Spring Legislative Update
March 29, 2022
The Forest Society is supporting several bills in the 2022 Legislative session. Here is an update on those bills:
- House Bill 1005 would create a New Hampshire low-grade timber and wood emerging market commission. The NH House of Representatives passed the bill on February 16. It now moves over to the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee for a hearing. That hearing has yet to be scheduled.
- House Bill 1188 would establish a commission to study OHRV use in New Hampshire. The NH House approved it on March 16. The Senate Transportation Committee will hold an as-yet-to-be-scheduled hearing on the bill in April.
- House Bill 1049 would establish a committee to study the siting criteria for new solid waste landfills. The House of Representatives approved it on February 16. The bill now moves over the NH Senate’s Energy and Natural Resources for a hearing. That hearing has not yet been scheduled.
- House Bill 1454 would prohibit the siting of landfills within a proscribed distance of groundwater sources. The House of Representatives approved it on March 16. The Senate Energy and Natural Resources will next hold a hearing on HB 1454. That hearing has yet to be scheduled.
- Senate Bill 379 would establish a new solid waste management fund and grant program for New Hampshire. The Senate Ways and Means approved the legislation on March 17. The full Senate will vote on it on March 31 where Senators are expected to pass it.