The Society for the Protection of New Hampshire Forests seeks a well-organized, articulate, and motivated individual for the position of Finance Specialist. This is a full time position based at the Conservation Center in Concord, NH. The successful candidate will be a team player that has at least five years of non-profit accounting experience that includes month end and year-end closing, account reconciliation and audit support. Experience with Abila MIP is desirable.
The Society for the Protection of New Hampshire Forests is a statewide land conservation organization that was founded in 1901 to protect New Hampshire’s most important landscapes and promote wise use of its renewable natural resources. A copy of the full job description is available below.
To apply email a resume and cover letter by November 15, 2019 to: Denise Vaillancourt (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The Forest Society is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Reports to: Vice President for Finance
Salary Range: $40,000 - $44,000
Nonexempt Full time (40 hrs/week) Temporary: no
As a member of the Finance team the Finance Specialist handles essential financial management tasks for the Forest Society including managing restricted funds, reconciling accounts, closing the books, and preparing for the annual financial audit. This position is at the center of communicating financial information to the staff so it requires the ability to work cooperatively and effectively with others and to understand how financial operations affect and inform the work of the Forest Society.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform month end and year-end financial closings including: Reclassify restricted funds; Reconcile operating bank account and investment account; Post monthly journal entries and verify general ledger balances; Monitor financial statements for variances and resolve posting problems; Perform balance sheet reconciliations monthly and document to audit standards; Maintain pledge and grant receivable records; Reconcile development and finance revenue records monthly; Update and maintain fixed asset and depreciation records and post depreciation
- Financial management including: Maintain all restricted fund records including tracking donor restrictions, account activity and balances; Maintain journal entry audit book with proper backup and authorizations; Code check requests for land/easement purchases, journalize all land transactions, prepare and send 1099s for land transactions, reconcile land values records with land protection department regularly; Prepare invoices for all project related work; Advise other staff on accounting transactions
- Provide financial support to the organization including: Run and distribute monthly financial statements and project reports to staff, Prepare financial reports for completed projects as needed; Supply information and support to all staff on financial issues; Prepare ad-hoc reports as needed; Recommend procedural changes to increase efficiency and effectiveness
- Assist with annual processes including: Prepare audit schedules (with assistance of other finance staff) and compile financial information for auditor; Serve as primary contact with auditor for on-site work; Provide supporting information for annual tax filing of 990 and 990T
- Process annuitant payments; Maintain individual annuitant accounts, Create and distribute 1099s for annuitants
- Set up new vendors in Abila MIP; Prepare and distribute 1099’s; Advise receptionist on AP data entry and AP check run
- In house Abila MIP expert including: Recommend and manage software upgrades; recommend and implement changes to procedures and systems to increase efficiency, create and maintain reports, smooth work flow
- Manage all financial records and files based on document retention/destruction schedule
- Record and transcribe minutes for the finance committee and investment subcommittee
- Remain educated on proper accounting practices and procedures
- Assume additional tasks/responsibilities as needed
The Finance Specialist is responsible for ensuring the Forest Society’s compliance with proper accounting procedures. The accuracy and timeliness of this work is vital to the efficient functioning and reputation of the Forest Society. As a member of the Finance team this individual works cooperatively with colleagues to keep all finance functions operating smoothly. This position is responsible for recommending and implementing changes to procedures and systems to better track financial information, to smooth work flow, and more effectively communicate financial information to the staff and the board.
Qualifications and Skills Required:
- Minimum of five years of progressively more complex accounting experience including at least three years of experience with month end closing, year-end closing, general ledger reconciliation, and audit preparation and support
- Advanced experience with Microsoft Office products, particularly Excel and Word
- Advanced experience with Abila MIP, or other accounting software
- High motivation with the ability to anticipate and proactively address challenges
- Ability to work as part of team and cooperate effectively with colleagues
- Ability to anticipate and meet deadlines consistently
- Ability to clearly communicate financial information to non-financial staff
- Keen attention to detail and the highest standards of excellence and confidentiality
- Non-profit accounting experience
- Bachelor’s degree preferred (though additional professional experience will be considered in lieu of degree)
- Good judgment, a can-do attitude, creativity and a sense of humor appreciated
- Interest in land protection or conservation helpful
Solar office with open floor plan
Ability to sit and type at a computer for long periods