Christmas Tree Farm Hand
The Society for the Protection of New Hampshire Forests (Forest Society) is seeking a Farm Hand for its Christmas Tree Farm at The Rocks in Bethlehem, NH. This part-time (80%) position provides support for The Rocks and its programs as well as other local Forest Society reservations. Work is primarily outdoors and includes tree cultivation, property maintenance, as well as some basic visitor outreach.
If interested, email a resume, cover letter and references to Sarah Alsamaraee, Forestry & Stewardship Administrative Coordinator at email@example.com.
The Forest Society is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
No phone calls please.
CHRISTMAS TREE FARM HAND
Reports to: Christmas Tree Farm Manager
Hourly rate: Starting at $15.50
This position is Non-Exempt, Part-Time (80%)
This person assists the Christmas Tree Farm Manager with the April to December operation of The Rocks Christmas Tree Farm in Bethlehem, NH. The main work focus involves Christmas tree planting, cultivation and sales. The position also includes other varied responsibilities associated with the North Country facility and programming. This includes general property maintenance of the buildings and grounds at The Rocks, Bretzfelder Park and other nearby Forest Society properties. A much lighter schedule is required in January and February based on snow removal and maintenance needs with a more regular schedule resuming in March to support the maple program.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Christmas Tree Cultivation and Sales (65%)
- Planting, shearing, basal pruning, mowing, fertilizing and spraying
- General tree maintenance techniques including but not limited to weed removal, witches broom removal, and cone removal
- Harvesting and selling for wholesale and retail
- Stocking of wreaths
- Packaging and loading of trees and wreaths
- Directing parking, and visitor guidance during peak visitation
Maple Sugaring Operation (5%)
- Assist with the maple sugaring education programs in the Spring and Fall
- Assist with maple syrup sample tasting and sales
- Print shipping labels and pack maple syrup mail orders
General Maintenance (5%)
- Painting and minor maintenance/repairs to buildings
- Provide set up and take down assistance for events
- Assists with minor trail maintenance and clearing
Grounds Maintenance (25%)
- Landscaping, mowing and trimming
- Grounds equipment and tool maintenance
- Assist with plowing, shoveling, sanding and snow removal from roofs
- Assist with firewood preparation including bucking, splitting and stacking
- Assist with apple tree pruning
This position helps achieve the production of quality Christmas trees for the Forest Society and ensures a positive experience for Christmas tree buying guests. The position also helps maintain an aesthetically pleasing and safe property for visitors to enjoy.
Qualifications and Skills Required:
- High School diploma or GED preferred
- Reliable transportation
- Valid driver’s license, with a clean driving record and proof of insurance
- Willingness to work outside in all weather conditions
- Willingness to wear all appropriate personal protective equipment and work safely
- Ability to work effectively alone and as part of a team
- Ability to use hand tools preferred
- Ability to use a tractor and implements preferred but not necessary
- Willingness to learn proper Christmas tree shearing techniques
- Work schedule will vary depending on time of year and workload but will average 80% of full time across the year with full-time availability expected during the growing season through Christmas
- Overtime may be offered at peak work times of the year
- This is a physically demanding job. Outside work in all weather conditions including working in extreme heat, extreme cold, and dealing with sun, precipitation and insects.
- Benefits include health and dental insurance as well as paid time off
- Ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions
- Ability to use hand tools and to perform physically demanding tasks
- Ability to use power tools and equipment
- Ability to lift up to 80 lbs
- Ability to work on ladders is helpful but not a necessity
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
The Forest Society is an equity-based employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status or and other protected status as required by applicable law.