Bill Glavin Memorial Forest Created in Warner's Mink Hills
Last winter, Ann Grobe read a story in the Concord Monitor about the Society’s efforts to protect the 471-acre Bound Tree property in the Mink Hills of Warner. She noted with interest that she owned, with her two sisters, an abutting property that bordered the Bound Tree Forest on three sides. She spoke with her two sisters, and they agreed to donate their land to the Forest Society to be owned as a reservation.
“We’re very grateful to the Grobe family for their generous donation,” said Forest Society President/Forester Jane Difley. “Their well-managed forest adds to the conservation landscape developing in the Mink Hills.”
The sisters asked that the forest be named after their late father Bill Glavin, a local science teacher at the Warner elementary school, from whom they inherited the land.
Now called the Bill Glavin Memorial Forest, the 40-parcel was once an open pasture where sheep grazed. It is adjacent to the Bound Tree Forest and a short distance from the Forest Society’s Fosters Conservancy. It has significant scenic resources, including undeveloped road frontage, and it is part of a prominent hilltop in the Mink Hills with great views to the south.
The Mink Hills are a priority conservation area for the Forest Society, the Towns of Warner and Henniker, the Quabbin-to-Cardigan (Q2C) Initiative, and the NH Department of Fish and Game’s Wildlife Action Plan.
Founded in 1901, the Society for the Protection of New Hampshire Forests is the state’s oldest and largest non-profit land conservation organization. Supported by 10,000 families and businesses, the Forest Society’s mission is to perpetuate the state’s forests by promoting land conservation and sustainable forestry. For more information, visit www.forestsociety.org.